Wednesday, June 14, 2017

I May Have A Scrap Problem... Strumming The Strings!

Hi, all!

Wednesday really snuck up on me this week, and because of that, I haven't done one. single. thing. on my Long Time Gone quilt.   😢   I think I'm mentally intimidated by the only remaining blocks I need to make, which are the foundation pieced pineapple blocks - and I need to get over that quick!!  I really want to put this quilt together and start on Gypsy Wife!

But as I was wondering what I would post on today, I realized - - - I finished a string quilt top today!!!


These blocks were in a large box of string blocks that we had made at church over the past few months.  I took that box with me on our road trip to Arkansas, spending hours pulling the papers off the back of the blocks.  Wednesday night at church, I spent a little time playing with them on the design wall, and discovered that I love this on-point design!


I love the squares created by the center white strips on each string block, and also the subtle diamond design that shows up in the background.



I used up the last of my Denyse Schmidt squiggly plaid for the setting triangles and corners, and I love the way it sets off the string blocks!  

So, no progress on LTG, but a new scrappy quilt top for the quilt ministry!  I'm hoping to load this one on the quilt frame tomorrow night at church so it will be completed and ready to go to bring comfort to someone in need.  Because that's what quilts are for, right?

Hugs!

Sarah

21 comments:

  1. Quilt Ministry.. it has a whole new meaning now when I read your words,, a design wall, and loading a quilt on the frame.. It makes the quilt making a real blessing in so many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your strings quilt with the added green corner and side blocks. Looking forward to seeing how it's quilted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I just love it! Great job. I hate sewing on point blocks together, but love the way they look.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep I notice those white squares it forms right away. I really like the on point setting and don't know that I have ever seen a string quilt done that way. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The on-point setting gives this quilt a slightly different look than many string blocks. I really like it. I noticed first thing the squares created by the white in each block. Very creative and creates a nice look for the quilt. --Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your string quilt! I, too, have fallen way behind on my LTG...even worse, my Gypsy Wife is only 1/4 done and hanging on the design wall, it scares me a little because i'm finding it difficult to wrap my head around. Oh well, I'll get back to it one day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the on point setting too. It looks like fascinating, dimensional little cubbies. I really need to make more string quilts. I sure love them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the setting! So interesting to look at.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never saw the white center strips until you pointed them out! I guess the secondary design spoke more to me! Really nice finish!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gotta love how some things work out, am I right? This design is fabulous and that it will go to someone in need, well, to much for words, except, "Thank you for what you do"!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh! I love this! So much history and character!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The string quilt is beautiful. Whoever receives will feel the love and caring from your church group.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love how you put these blocks on a point. The quilt is beautiful. I am working on another one myself, can you share again after quilting. I would like to see how you quilt this one. THANK YOU !

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fantastic scrappy stringy goodness! I love the squiggly plaid setting triangles, too. I'm quilting an older scrap WIP this week, and using it to experiment a bit. Trying new FMQ motifs and quilting much more densely than I usually do. It's nice to try new things!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I definitely like this scrappy top. The green setting triangles just finish it off so well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love how you finished off the string quilt with a single unifying print. Fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!! If you want a PDF of a pattern, PLEASE leave your email address in your comment, or email me directly at salliesue57 (at) gmail (dot) com!